Skills can be divided in two wide categories in Highlands: core mechanics and strategic actions. While the core mechanics are available from the start, the characters unlock the strategic actions as they level up.
Core mechanics[edit | edit source]
The core mechanics are the basic skills used most often by the characters. While some of them are available to everyone, most character classes have their own skills.
- Garrison - The default action, the garrisoned character adds his Combat points to the defense value of the sector.
- Fight - When a character is sent on a sector controlled by enemy troops, they will automatically put themselves in fighting stance. This will trigger a Combat at the end of turn.
- Fortify - Characters with points in the mechanic stat can use this action to fill the fortification gauge of the sector they're in. The increase in fortification points will be equal to the mechanic stat.
- Medic - Characters with points in the academic stat can use this action to restore Health to wounded characters. Medic heal up to 1 Combat point for each point of academic at the expense of 1 food per point healed.
- Resource generation - Characters with points in the charisma stat can use this action to fill the resource generation gauge of the sector they're in. The increase in resource generation points will be equal to the charisma stat. When the gauge is filled, the sector will generate by itself a fixed number of Resources each turn.
Strategic actions[edit | edit source]
Strategic actions are tactical skills that the different character classes learn as they level. They are more complex in their working than the core mechanics and gives you more options on how to deal with the enemy, at the expense of some Resources
All character classes except the Combatant learn at least one strategic action through their leveling.
- Crafting - This action is available to the Mechanic class starting from Level 2. You can only use it on a sector where there is a Workshop. With this skill, your Mechanics can craft items to upgrade your army with weapons and accessories. You can also craft consumable items to help you during battles.
- Militia - This action is available to the Leader class starting from Level 3. At the cost of 20 Leadership points, you can send your leaders on an enemy sector to reduce the Health of your enemies. It will also prevent enemies on this sector from attacking any of your territories for one turn.
- Overseer - This action is available to the Academic class starting from Level 3. At the cost of 20 Scraps, it will instantly fill the fortification and resource generation gauges of a sector by 2 points per academic stat.
- Bombardment - This actions is available to the Mechanic class starting from Level 5. At the cost of 20 Scraps per adjacent enemy sectors, it will prevent these enemies from attacking any of your territories for one turn.